A recent study found that your choice in dog breed can tell a lot about you.
Psychologists call these the “big five” personality characteristics. The study included 1,000 purebred dogs being tested on extraversion, openness to new ideas, conscientiousness and agreeableness. They then divide the dogs into the same categories used by the Kennel Club: Gundog and Hound, Terrier, Terrier, Toys, Utility and Working. These results reveal that certain personality traits are more inclined to a particular breed of dog.
Click here for more information.
1. Gundog owners ranked highest for agreeableness. You’re affectionate and cooperative.
Gundog: Spaniels, Retrievers, Setters, Pointers, etc.
Famous gundog owners include Jennifer Aniston, who owns a Golden Retriever. Gwyneth Paltrow owns a Labrador Retriever.
2. Hound dog owners rated high for emotional stability. You’re the least neurotic.
Hound: Foxhounds, Beagles, Dachshunds, Whippets, Greyhounds, etc.
Famous Hound owners include George Washington who owned a Foxhound and Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas who owns two Dachshunds.
3. Pastoral owners scored highest for extroversion. You super-extroverts are the life of the party.
Pastoral: Collies, Sheepdogs, Heelers, Corgis, German Shepherds, etc.
Famous pastoral dog owners: Queen Elizabeth II owns a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Chris Evans has a German Shepherd.
4. Terrier owners rated high in agreeableness, and more than any other in openness.
Terrier: Bull Terriers, Calm Terriers, Border Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, etc.
Vin Diesel is a famous Terrier dog owner. He owns a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Simon Cowell has a Calm Terrier.
5. Toy owners had highest scores in agreeableness and creativity.
Toy: Yorkshire Terriers, Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Pekingese, Pugs, etc.
Famous Toy dog owners include Natalie Portman, Paris Hilton and a Yorkie.
6. Like Pastoral owners, Utility owners also scored high in extroversion, but they were also the most conscientious. They’ve almost got the whole package – outgoing, goal-oriented, and organized.
Utility: Dalmatians, Bulldogs, Poodles, Schnauzers, Shih Tzus, Boston Terriers, etc.
Mariah Carey is a famous Utility dog owner. She owns a Shih Tzu.
7. Working dog owners were both agreeable and open. You’re trustworthy with a broad range of interests.
Working: Great Danes, Rottweilers, Mastiffs, St. Bernards, Boxers, etc.
Justin Timberlake is a famous dog owner. Will Smith has a Rottweiler.